Monday, June 28, 2010

Thought I'd wasted 40 rubles

...since my efforts to access email and upload photos were failing. I'm at an Internet cafe where I pay to use Internet.

Figured out why studying a language in the country of that language is good. Back at OSU, what I learn in Russian class stays in Russian class. Here, I can learn something in one class and than encounter it a while later somewhere else.

I got to be lazy this past weekend, which was an incredible treat. On Saturday the group took a walk down Arbat Street (an old arts/academia area of Moscow), then we broke into groups and I went out with Maria (the resident director), two OSU guys and two Russian girls. We got lunch at a Soviet-style canteen and then went and sat in a park--just sat and talked. I got to discuss Heggy's and Taggart's, two Canton ice cream shops, with another student while sitting in a park by Red Square. Their names have gone far! Then we went and walked in an underground mall, and then came back.

I'm missing my friends from church and Student Christian Fellowship (OSU). I stayed home Friday while a lot of students went out drinking, and I felt a bit lonely. I miss the encouragement that comes with Christian fellowship. I need to stop thinking about home so much.

Winging out,
--Christine

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you're having an interesting time so far. I hope you can have interesting things to help not miss home so much. :)

    Interesting comment about the difference from Russian "in class" and Russian in the real world. My brother and I both studied Spanish, and felt that "textbook" study was nothing like the language actually spoken in everyday life - lots of "slang" expressions, etc. I would love to be able to pick up a language just by hearing it and speaking it from native people.

    Enjoy your days Christine, and I wish you the best! Thanks for your blog updates. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. we miss you too Christine... Can't wait until you get back so we can hear all about the trip and fill you in on all the happenings at "Zach's House"... just a preview of some of the fun things is that tonight we played kickball with some neighbors in the church parking lot during a torrential downpour...it was awesome =) great to hear from your more recent blog you met some fellow Christians at church... We are praying for you and miss you

    ~Jason

    ReplyDelete