Thursday, July 8, 2010

Living the Moscow High Life (for a weekend)

Well! I had what I would call a rather classy weekend this past week. Saturday evening we dressed up and went to the Bolshoi Theater, a very renowned theater in Moscow, and saw three ballet performances. I was rather unclassy and bought 7-Up instead of champagne (but it came in a glass bottle). The ballets were very nice, although I don't think I'll remember much detail from them. I did get pictures of the theater, which is lovely.

On Sunday I ventured out on the metro by myself for the first time and made my way to St. Andrew's, an international Anglican church. I stayed for the worship service and was warmly welcomed by people afterwards--at one point I had several Americans around me giving me their phone numbers "in case I ever need anything." It was so good to be back at church--I felt almost like I was home. Afterwards a British lady that works at the embassy invited me out to lunch and an American lady joined us. We went to a rather expensive place where I had beef stroganoff. I learned a lot from the two women about life in Moscow. I'm looking forward to going back to St Andrew's.

Sunday evening the OSU group went on a boat ride on the Moskva River. We had dinner, paid for by our program fees. I had salmon shashlik with baked potato and vegetables, borscht, and fresh apple juice. Fresh, frothy, expensive, and incredible apple juice. I felt rich. I also took some very nice pictures from the boat. I'll try to put them on Facebook at some point.

This weekend we're going outside Moscow to Vladimir and Suzdal, two ancient Russian towns. Should be interesting.

What's new in your life?

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you've been having some awesome experiences! That's great too about the different ones you've met. I hope you enjoy your outing to those towns, that should be very interesting, certainly a change of pace from Moscow. :)

    Oklahoma is very soggy right now, so we're looking to dry out a little, hopefully. LOL

    ReplyDelete